6 Elements wood burning products are designed so that they can be completely cleaned and maintained with simple environmentally friendly organic fluids.
All fire pits, wood grills and chimineas are supplied with a Surface Maintenance Kit comprising:
- 1 x Grey Abrasive Hand Pad
- 2 x Microfibre Polishing Cloths
- 1 x 100ml Bottle of Cleaning Fluid (Distilled Vinegar)
- 1 x 100ml Bottle of Conditioning Oil (Olive Oil)
Stainless steel is susceptible to absorbing acids and oils from human skin, so your product will need to be conditioned prior to first use after receipt of delivery, due to any potential surface contamination that may have occurred during packaging and manual handling. We always clean and condition our products prior to packaging, but it is inevitable that hand contact will occur during siting of your product after delivery.
If the product is not conditioned for the first use, any oil or acid deposits on the surface will create a chemical reaction which can be etched into the product surface during the first heat process. This can be used to advantage if you would like to personalise your burner with your own hand prints. Clean with clear distilled vinegar, allow to dry, apply moist hands to the clean, brand new surface of the burner, and the first burn heat will do the rest. Any marks that are undesired on the burner can be buffed out using the Grey abrasive pad supplied, but you will have a small shiny patch in the area of cleaning.
Delivery Cleaning Procedure – Once only
- Unpack and position your product in the desired location for the first burn.
- Wipe down the entire surface of the product with one clean cloth and the supplied clear cleaning fluid (distilled vinegar) in the direction of material grain finish.
- When the vinegar has evaporated, and the stainless-steel surface is completely blemish free, using the 2nd polishing cloth, lightly apply the supplied oil in the direction of material grain finish and buff until completely absorbed and streak free.
- Allow to dry while arranging the kindling and logs but do not touch any conditioned surfaces, if you do accidently touch the external, repeat the clean and oil procedure in that area.
- The product is now ready for use.
Product Cleaning – In Use
During regular use, 6 Elements products will need to be cleared of ash to maximise burning efficiency and reduce oxidisation of carbon based chemical elements onto the log tray. If water and subsequently damp ash is left in the burner base for extended periods of time this will appear as if it has rusted but is the ash chemical element content oxidising on the surface of the stainless steel. The log tray can be removed, washed down and brushed clean if this occurs.
Simple Cleaning Procedure:
- Lift log tray clear from the main burner body.
- Remove any charcoal lumps from the burner base; these can be re-used or dispose of as required.
- Dispose of cold ashes in normal household refuse or if you are a keen gardener, the ashes can be used in the gardento change the pH value of the soil; wood ashes will raise the pH and lower the acid in soil.
- Brush down and wash log tray.
- Once the log tray is removed, 4 holes will be exposed in the base of the burner body, the burner can now be washed through with water and allowed to dry. Please consider a suitable drain point for the grey water to escape (Note: gardens love ash water but decking may not!)
- Replace log tray onto locating holes and allow to dry naturally.
Product Surface Restoration Procedure – As required
- The external surfaces of the 6 Elements products can be restored as and when required.
- We would suggest deep cleaning before any winter pack away and then oil re-conditioning on spring garden set-up.
- If you use our wood burning products all year round (we salute you!) please clean as frequently and deeply as required for your maximum enjoyment.
- Using the supplied grey abrasive pad, apply generous pressure and vigorously buff the surface in the direction of the material grain until a satisfactory finish is achieved.
- Wipe down the entire surface of the product with the 1st used cloth (cleaning cloth) and supplied clear cleaning fluid (distilled vinegar).
- When the vinegar has evaporated, and the stainless-steel surface is completely blemish free, take the 2nd cloth (oiling cloth) and lightly apply the supplied oil (olive oil) buff until completely absorbed and streak free.
- Allow to dry while arranging the kindling and logs but do not touch any conditioned surfaces, if you do accidently touch the external, repeat the clean and oil.